Sunday, November 13, 2011

iPhone vs Droid

I'm a "long-time" Android user that recently switched to the iPhone 4s. This is my story.

To properly frame my profile, I've had 3 Android phones over the past 4 years. I use gmail very heavily. I favor Google Docs over Open (Libre) Office. I favor Open Office over Microsoft Office. I'm a pretty heavy Google fanboy. However, I also own an iPad (gen 1) and recently purchased an Apple TV. Both of which I love. By day I'm a Solutions Architect with more love for Java then .NET (much more). In that realm I'm an open source junky. So, all in all I'm really a fan of things that work and work they way I want/need them to.

So on to my 10 days with the iPhone 4s.
Fan-boy analysis:
The device is beautiful. The apps look sharp and are very snappy. The camera is my favorite part of the phone. I love having both a forward and backward lens. The pictures it takes are great and the in-photo editing capabilities are awesome. It does good in low and high light and takes good video as well. I love the somewhat seamless integration between the phone and apple tv. The mirroring technology is great.

The real:
All this glitter obviously demos and sells very well. But for me, it doesn't translate to being that useful in real life. Mainly because of a few BIG shortcomings.
  • There is no application equivalent to the "Locale" app in the Android Market. This is one of those apps that you don't realize how much you love until its gone.
  • You can't post pictures directly from the "Camera Roll" to Facebook or Google Plus.
  • The keyboard is horrible, I miss "swype" based keyboards!
  • To work with "iCloud" completely you need to update to the latest iOS.
    • To use Photo Stream you have to BUY the latest iPhoto.
And some minor annoyances:
  • The battery life is bad.
  • No Google MyTracks. I'm sure there is something similar, but I haven't found it yet.
I'm still debating whether to go back to Android or stick with the iPhone. I've got a few more days left before my 14 day window expires. If anyone can help solve my issues above, I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment